Sunday, January 11, 2009

Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella

Rating:★★
Category:Other
The musical starred none other than Lea Salonga in the title role. It had two acts, each lasting for an hour.

Unfortunately, instead of leaving me breathless, the show left me yawning! I found most of the scenes dragging and the songs, a bit boring.

I may have set myself up for disappointment for expecting a show as spectacular as We Will Rock You, and something as entertaining as Avenue Q. The show, after all, is based on the fairy tale.

And I may be too old for fairy tales.

However, not all is sleep-inducing in this musical. The part where Fairy Godmother dressed Cinderella up for the ball and where the pumpkin turned to a golden carriage woke me up. The comic relief provided by the rats, the evil stepsisters, the Fairy Godmother, the Prince and the King was also successful in keeping my interest up. The costumes also helped save me from completely falling into deep slumber. They shined! The singing was not bad, but I was not impressed either. I didn't get goosebumps, not even with Lea's singing.

I don't regret seeing the show. I saw Lea Salonga perform, after all. However, this doesn't get my two thumbs-up.

Verdict: Watch it if you want to see Lea or if you'd like to find out how the pumpkin turns into a carriage. Otherwise, you can pass this up.

3 comments:

Dodi Liongson said...

nyek akala ko naman si lea salonga yung fairy godmother, parang ang tanda na niya para mag cinderella.

Eugene Ranada said...

the rats and the tikbalangs saved the show

Kat Zuño-Mateo said...

ah oo nga ano! winner din yung tikbalangs. hehehe.