Friday, January 30, 2009

Look mom, I'm listening to Michael Franks!

Today I rediscovered Michael Franks. Who the h**l is he you say? Here's a snippet of his bio from michaelfranks.com:

Over the languorous course of 33 years and 16 albums, Michael Franks has mesmerized an international legion of fans with his one-of-a-kind artistry. Seamlessly weaving lyrics of stunning sensuality, wit, reflection and literary eloquence over music that tastefully utilizes top shelf shadings of jazz, soul, pop, chamber and music from around the globe, Michael Franks the songwriter has set a bar in the music world that places him as nothing less than a statesman of song craft. 

When I was much younger, Mommy listened to his music. We had cassette tapes of One Bad Habit (released in 1980) and Dragonfly Summer (1993). Mommy enjoyed listening to Michael Franks but back then, my taste in music was limited to OPM, R&B, hip-hop and rock. I didn't appreciate Michael Franks' mix of "jazz, soul, pop, chamber and music from around the globe." It was just too complicated for my barely teenage ears. I remember even asking Mommy why she listened to songs with lyrics that were difficult to understand and titles not even mentioned in the verses! Haha. Children do say the funniest things! 

Fast forward to the age of the Internet. I Googled Michael Franks to give his music a listen. I found his myspace and now, as I am typing this, I'm listening to his soothing voice and relaxing tunes. It's the perfect background music!

3 comments:

mayen zuno said...

o di va, maganda?

Christine Telesforo said...

"Popsicle Toes, you're so brave to expose all those Popsicle Toes" -- Oh how this song cooled me down during hot summer afternoons in Iloilo! Perfect with Coke and pan de sal! Does this mean I'm the same age as your mom? Haha!

Kat Zuño-Mateo said...

hahaha. di naman ata tin. :)