Tuesday, January 11, 2011

happy birthday, paolo


Today is my little brother, Paolo's, birthday. At 20, he's not so little any more. If we're talking about height, then I'm definitely the little one now. 

Paolo was a "surprise" baby, conceived less than a year after Miko's birth. He was born premature and I think Mommy and Daddy was only able to take him home from the hospital after spending a few months in the incubator. He was small and fragile but he cried so hard and loud for a preemie. Then when he was a toddler, we branded him "iyakin" because he cried at the slightest provocation.


Since we were 10 years apart, I was already able to help raise Paolo. I watched him when he played, fed him; in short, I was a yaya when there was no one available. I wasn't the best yaya though. I almost let him drown one time and another, I almost let him choke to death. 


The first accident happened while we were on a summer outing in Pansol. There was a small pond outside. Paolo walked over the pond so I followed him. My mind was wandering and next thing I knew he already jumped into the pond! The pond was only up to my knee, I think, but Paolo was still small and he was struggling to stand up! Good thing quick-thinker Lia came and rescued Paolo. Poor Paolo was all wet and I felt bad for not focusing on him and allowing such thing to happen.


The choking incident happened at home while were eating the Jelly Aces that came in small cups. Paolo's swallowing reflex was bad to begin with. Maybe the pieces were too big for him and when he tried to swallow one, he choked. Again, it was Lia who knew immediately what to do. She delivered forceful blows on Paolo's back and in no time, the jelly was dislodged and Paolo could breath again.


Although I couldn't say it at the time these happened, I'm glad we have these memories to laugh about now. It was wonderful being Paolo's Ate. Still is.


--
Scrapbook page credits: Crushed velvet background paper from Country Velvet kit and graphing paper background from Old Bo Back Pack kit both by Marcee Duggar; Splatter Doodle Doo overlay mask and scrap paper alpha by Nicole Young; Paperclip by Valeri Brumfield, all at Digital Scrapbook Place.

No comments: