Wednesday, January 26, 2011

crunching numbers

Woops! There it is. 

Smacking me in the face right now is the truth our new monthly budget and it hurts (doesn't it always?). 

It's making me nervous, stressed and scared, too.  

Our monthly flat rental will be going up by 125 percent and it will be taking up a huge chunk of my dear husband's income. I've listed down all the essentials and after computing how much we'll be spending on those, we're left with zero nada zilch for incidentals, such as dining out, shopping and even emergencies. The dining out and the shopping we can live without but life's unforeseen circumstances? How can we avoid that?

Yikes!!! *faint*

I guess we could've been more prudent in setting aside for our future (kase travel ng travel at kain ng kain sa labas at shopping ng shopping!). Yes, Suze Orman, I hear yah! We deserve a serious talkin' to.

Numbers have always scared me that's why I didn't shift to economics. Little did I know I'll be lookin' them right in the eye now that I'm a housewife! Anyway, crunching these numbers made me realize I may have to go back to work as soon as possible. When that will be will of course be determined by our new boss, who will be coming on board in about two months. But that would mean taking him to day care or hiring a nanny, both of which - you guessed it - will cost money too. 

Oh dear Lord. Help us.

I am thankful though (and will always be) that we have money to spend and that my husband has been tirelessly working to be able to provide for our family (of two, soon to become three). The past is over (so no blaming for yesterday's shopping, eating and travelling sprees) and the future is ahead of us (the bun is still in the oven). We need to focus on the now because that's all we've got. This is the situation and even if it's challenging, we'll face it (as a team!). We need to prioritize our expenses and take steps to make living on a single income (at least for a couple more months) more manageable. 

Right, B? ;)


I'll definitely breastfeed so we don't need to spend on formula.

Hmmm, but I wonder if we should get a room mate. 

Or maybe I should just switch to prepaid mobile again. 


Or unsubscribe to cable TV?


Or or or or all of the above?


___
Photo: "Coins" by iprole; downloaded from stock.xchng

4 comments:

ashrage said...

You can do it! A very very wise person once told me: take it one day at a time :) Matthew 6:26 :)

I'm very very happy with your decision to breastfeed :) Dito lang ako to support you every step of the way (the pedia in me hehe). Take a look at this: http://healthland.time.com/2011/01/25/breastfeeding-it-takes-a-village-to-help-moms-succeed-says-surgeon-general/?xid=sflow

Kat said...

Thanks George!

Reden said...

Don't worry too much B. Kaya natin ito. I love you!

Kat said...

I know B. I love you too!