Wednesday, January 12, 2011

blessings in disguise

Whenever something doesn't work out the way you thought it would, Kat, instead of thinking that something went wrong, see it as something that went unexpectedly well, but for reasons that are not yet apparent.
Everything plays to your favor. 
Score!
The Universe


I got this Note from The Universe yesterday and it made me think of all the somethings in my life that didn't work out the way I thought they would but later proved to have gone unexpectedly well.


One, my relationship with my boyfriend of five years. I was devastated and scared at first (what if I grow old alone? what if no one wants to date me?), but if we didn't break up, I wouldn't have gone out with Reden and I wouldn't have the wonderful love/marriage I am truly grateful for and immensely enjoying right now.


Two, me not being hired as a permanent employee at my last job. It was so frustrating while I was there, working without enjoying the benefits but that situation made it easy for me to decide to resign when I needed to go home to the Philippines and take care of my mom. 


Three, Reden and I not getting pregnant sooner. If we got pregnant or already had a baby when mom fell ill, it wouldn't have been easy for me to go back and take care of her.


Four, me not getting into the business administration course (my first choice) at UP. If I did, then I wouldn't have met some of my closest and dearest friends. And I wouldn't have had that much fun.


But then I think about mom passing away. How could I see that tragic and heartbreaking event as something that went unexpectedly well? 


I spent a few minutes thinking about it. Coming up with one idea after another; writing them down then deleting and trashing them. I think and think some more until it dawned on me: perhaps the good thing that came about from her death was that it forced me to re-evaluate my life. It made me stop and reflect on the way I live, the way I treat others, the way I relate with God. Her death made me, not only stronger, but also more aware of how one life can impact another. And realizing that made me want to be a better person.


Mom's death also strengthened our family and showed us who our true friends are. 


(UPDATE: While I'm still not convinced that these good things are worth my mother's life, I know that God has a totally different criteria. These decisions are best left to Him.)


So yes. Even when it's not usually obvious, everything plays to our favor. We just gotta have faith.

4 comments:

ashrage said...

Ang galing. I had this realization yesterday, too :) God teaches us the SAME lessons, we just need to listen :)

I also realized that it's better to reflect more on things/issues than to wallow in worry.

Just want to let you know that I really look forward to reading your posts every day :)

Kat said...

Thanks G! Nakaabang din ako sa mga post mo. :)

Reden said...

makes me want to think of things that didn't turn out the way I wanted to, too.

thanks B for putting things into the positive perspective! :)

Kat said...

you're welcome B!