Thursday, November 6, 2008

Barbie Love

Look at these!!!
Barbie in Vera Wang,

Carolina Herrera,


Monique Lhuillier,

Badgley Mischka,

and Zac Posen!

Good thing I stopped collecting Barbies eons ago, kung hindi matetempt pa ako sa mga ito! They're gorgeous!

My Tita Malou (God bless her soul) gave me my very first Barbie doll. If I remember correctly I was five or six years old then and it was a Christmas present. The doll was called Dream Date Barbie. Thank God for Google and bloggers, I can show them to you now!


Front view

Back view

I enjoyed this doll immensely. She wore a sequin halter top in fuschia and a very versatile satin skirt (also in fuschia and had purple piping, belt and flowerette) that allowed me to change her look without having to buy extra clothes (which were expensive). The ruffly part of the dress can be styled in different ways. You can wrap it around the doll's neck, drape it on the side of her skirt or you can create an assymetric dress by wrapping it on one of her arms, like this:

O deba, sosyal!

Siempre since meron ako, Lia should also have one to avoid inggitan. She got her first Barbie not long after I got mine.

Through the years, our Barbie dolls totaled five or six. We enjoyed playing them all. Alala ko meron pa kaming mga kwento na kami lang ang gumagawa. May mga love story pa at dahil wala kaming Ken doll, we picked random male-looking dolls from our collection at sila ang naging boyfriends ng aming mga Barbie. Bata pa lang mahilig nang gumawa ng kwento!


Pero akala ko talaga magiging fashion designer ako dahil sa mga manikang yan. Nung mga bata pa kami, sinisira ko yung mga lumang damit na nakikita ko tapos tinatahi ko para magkasya sa Barbie doll ko. Hindi nakaligtas ang mga shoulder pads ni mother! Ang gaganda kaya ng tela nun! Hehehe. Kung di ko matahi, pinapardible ko.

Member din ako ng Barbie fan club! I loved the newsletters tsaka yung mga freebies na nakuha ko. I don't know why, but at one point the letters just stopped arriving. Maybe I got too old for the club or maybe they really just stopped running the club. I could only guess.

Now, our Barbie dolls are hidden somewhere in our cabinet back home. I know we still have  the clothes, but I can't say the same for the tiny pairs of shoes (pumps and boots galore!). Their broken necks, the now-detachable heads and messed-up hair just prove how much fun we had we them.

When I get home, I just might look for them and when I find them, I'll give them a nice bath, dress them up and take some photos of them. Someday a nostalgic blogger might just find them useful.
______________________________________
Credits:
Designer Barbies from Angelic Dreamz. Dream Date Barbie from here and here.

5 comments:

Reden Mateo said...

si apps ata member din ng barbie club. pero parang newsletter lang. hehe.

mayen zuno said...

kaya pala basta na lang nagsisiwalaan ng kapares ang mga shoulder pads ko. =(

Kat Zuño-Mateo said...

mwehehehehe.

Tanya Tiotuyco said...

I love the Zac Posen doll! So modern!

Kat Zuño-Mateo said...

yun din ang aking favorite!