Monday, June 15, 2009

comfy footwear wanted!

I'm on the hunt for the most comfortable footwear there is! Wearing Havaianas have become a no-no for me since I realized that these cute tsinelas can't give me the support I need. See, my feet are flat and I need arch support or else I'll end up with painful feet, legs and hips. Since we're anticipating hours and hours of walking on our upcoming trip, I need the right footwear so I can concentrate on sightseeing/shopping. 

Flashback to our recent Hong Kong trip: I don't know why but it escaped my mind that being in Hong Kong equals being in a treadmill for 10000 hours. I knew that exploring this city entails a lot of walking and silly me only brought a pair of Charles & Keith fasyon sandals that offered zero support to my flat feet. Thus, todo sa sakit ang legs at paa ko at the end of the day (which is actually very late at night!). Buti na lang, B and I were able to buy running shoes at the adidas outlet in Tung Chung. They saved us from further pain!

But as many a fashionista have said, trainers are only for the gym (or the track) and should not be worn anywhere else. I guess the only exception is when you're about to break your hips and back or your feet are sore from all the walking you did in Hong Kong.

I plan to subscribe to that fashion rule on our next trip that's why I'm on the hunt for cute but comfy footwear. No sneakers for me because it's hot where we're going. 


The first brand that came to my mind: Birkenstock.

I got my first pair (a Madrid) back in 2002 and I'm proud to say they're still alive. I actually just recently brought them out of storage because I remembered how comfy they were (yes, after the Hong Kong trip). Unfortunately, the soles are pudpod now. I only recently discovered that Birkenstock has repair centers where you can bring your old pair so they can replace the soles. I think my pair is far from rescuing because the cork is also pudpod that's why I've decided it's time to get a new pair (and convince B to get his first pair too)!

I love the Madrid style so I'm thinking of getting one in patent purple:

The original that started it all. Known as the Birkenstock Fitness Sandal in Europe, this design tones the foot and calf muscles while improving circulation.

This timeless one strap features our famous contoured footbed, fully adjustable strap and shock absorbing EVA sole. Available in a variety of materials and colors.
  • Upper material: Patent Birko-Flor™ - Made of acrylic and polyamide felt fibers, a durable fabric with a smooth high gloss finish and soft lining.
  • Footbed: The original Birkenstock footbed - Featuring pronounced arch support, a deep heel cup and a roomy toe box. Covered with a suede liner. The footbed molds and shapes to your foot.
  • Sole material: EVA - Flexible, durable, lightweight, shock resisting soling material.
But Bali is nice too.

Quarter-strap silhouette in a variety of materials with fully adjustable straps and shock-absorbing EVA sole.
  • Upper material: Silky Suede - A smooth, velvety suede.
  • Footbed: Soft footbed - A foam layer is inserted between the cork layer and the suede liner of the original Birkenstock footbed. Millions of microscopic air bubbles cushion your feet while providing moderate arch support.
  • Sole material: EVA - Flexible, durable, lightweight, shock resisting soling material.
But I've also heard of FitFlop, the flip flops that work out your legs and calves while you walk. They're almost at the same price range as Birkenstocks.

I think Electra is cute:
The fastest ‘sold-out’ new sandal last summer, the fabulously feminine updated Electra now features a softer collar (stitch and turned top line) and microfiber lining, lightweight foot hugging leather and precision sequin placement for shinier shine!

The Electra is built with our patent-pending microwobbleboard™ midsole technology, which is proven to load your bottom and leg muscles more, so you get a workout while you walk.

The Walkstar III in flamingo is nice too:

An evolution of the original Walkstar, the Walkstar III features dynamic topstitching on a sporty, streamlined leather upper, a soft leather lining and a ‘stitch and turned’ top line for maximum comfort across the instep.

The Walkstar III is built with our patent-pending microwobbleboard™ midsole technology, which is proven to load your bottom and leg muscles more, so you get a workout while you walk.


I tried a pair on at a nearby shoe store during lunch time and they were super super comfy! Parang tinutulak nila yung paa ko so parang effortless maglakad. My only problem is that they're too bulky. I feel they wouldn't be as flexible fasyon-wise versus the cuter and can-be-worn-with-anything Birkenstocks. I would seriously consider getting a pair though for harabas days in Singapore, after I've retired my Havaianas and Ipanemas, which is soon!

Dear Multiply friends, do you know any other brand we should consider? Please don't suggest Crocs even if they're ultra comfy. I've sort of made my mind up about them. Hehe.

___
Description and pics from Birkenstock USA and the FitFlop Official Site

4 comments:

Reden Mateo said...

suggest one for me, too. and not Crocs please. haha!

Apple Mateo said...

As a Fitflops user, here are my pros and cons:

PROS
-toning capability (some people commented na firm na ang butt ko :D)
-gives height
-feels like you're jump-walking, meaning hindi bumabangga ang sole sa ground

CONS
-bulky nga!
-mainit at times since rubber tends to rub on your sole

Kat Zuño-Mateo said...

thanks apps! meron ka nga pala fitflop. =)

i agree with the jump-walking! masarap siya ilakad talaga.

christine yusingco said...

i love my birkenstocks... weekend slippers ko sya. i find it more comfy than crocs dahil mas contoured yung paa.