Tuesday, February 17, 2009

work/passion

The whole company got an e-mail regarding half-year bonuses for 2008. The big boss said it will be paid out sometime in March and whoever is eligible will get a letter saying so within the week.

It's happy news but I remembered my contract again. The last time I asked about my eligibility for a bonus, HR said contract employees are not qualified to receive bonuses. I felt really bad, not because I needed that money, but I felt that I wasn't getting what I deserved.

Now that feeling's back all over again.

I know I shouldn't let what's not here affect me or make me feel sad, but I am. Kind of.

Bleh. I know I'll get over it. I always do.

Now, moving on.

I received this quote in my email today:

You have to realize what makes you happy. The kitchen always does that for me.
—Michelle Bernstein, chef

I feel the same way!!! I'm happiest and most energized when I'm in the kitchen preparing meals for loved ones. Suddenly I was thinking about shifting careers. Should I study to become a chef?

I'm kinda discouraged because when I studied writing/journalism, it burned my passion out. (But is that even possible?) When I was a kid I loved to write. When I learned to edit myself though, it just kinda died. I'm afraid going into cooking school will put out the flame, too.

Should I just open a karinderya then?

Ahhh. Decisions, decisions.

7 comments:

Katrina Atienza said...

Hi Kat...I can relate about editing burning your passion out. Lalo na experience ko sa GS, even the three months I spent doing the trade magazines killed my creativity for a while. For the longest time each word would struggle to come out because even before it flowed from my fingers it'd be edited and measured in my head. sa akin I just took a break from writing for a while. yung job ko ngayon is more of analysis and aggregating data so wala masyadong heavy writing involved. and then I started a paper and pen journal again, na kahit gaano kagulo/kapangit ng sulat ko, I just let it flow out. it helped and now I write a lot again.

Dodi Liongson said...

pag may karinderya na kayo aapply ako dishwashah.

Kat Zuño-Mateo said...

may journal na din ako ulit iggy! =)

Kat Zuño-Mateo said...

wag naman dodi. dishwasher supervisor naman. :p

Denice C. said...

i can also relate.. i feel like my job has reduced me to an F8 button. i can't write creatively na! it's good that you maintain this blog, at least may creative outlet ka pa rin. cheer up! isipin mo n lang nasa travel/lifestyle website ka na nagsusulat... unlike some of us na pang-geek mags pa rin hehe :)

Tanya Tiotuyco said...

let's go karinderya!

Kat Zuño-Mateo said...

let's go sago! mwehehehe.