Monday, February 9, 2009

my life in Singapore so far part 1 - establishing a career

In a span of two years, I've had three jobs here in Singapore. My "career" here or my quest for one, has been an emotional roller coaster, much like the history of my romantic relationships. 

Job no. 1: Editorial assistant for a high society magazine
Duration: Eight months

I accepted my first job here just to get my foot in the door. I was itching to find work at that time so when the offer came, I grabbed it without much thought. I was so bored with being a bum that I said yes without hesitation--even if the company's office was in a factory building up north. I set aside my personal rule to stay away from companies with hideous offices just so I could begin earning some money. 

It was just like the first romantic relationship I spent years fantasizing about. I wanted to experience the thrills of the first "love," that which they say never dies. 

Oh, but die it did. It died very much. The first boyfriend didn't show at all. That first relationship was hardly a relationship. It was a joke and I'm laughing now just thinking of how much I invested in that "relationship" emotionally. I was 15 then.

After a couple of months, the poor management style, the lack of focus and evil editors started rearing their ugly head that I couldn't ignore them anymore. That they fired my managing editor and replaced her with a disorganized, panicking lady that was anything but high society made matters worse for me. After eight months of pagtitiis and self-denial, it was time to say goodbye.
  
Job no. 2: Copy editor for an animal feeds magazine
Duration: Three months

After a bad experience, I tried to make up for it by choosing a job that was on the boring side (haha!). The office was organized and clean. The people looked friendly and I wasn't anyones assistant. Yun nga lang I was writing about animal feeds, which isn't really my topic of choice. Plus, I had a boss who carried his professorial style over to an office setting. Remember, the guy who met with the editorial team once weekly for recitations? Haha.

Again, I didn't really think about this job. At that time, I felt that what mattered is that I immediately got a job. I didn't think about what I want. On one hand, I thought it was me being open to new experiences. Yun pala, I was playing it too safely. I was clinging to the GS idea because one, the first new experience aka the first SG job was too traumatic, and two, GS gave me a stable three years back home and I wanted to recreate that by picking an editorial job in a trade publication.

As with my  two next relationships after the first one, I looked outside instead of inside. Or maybe I looked inside but at the wrong parts. It was me (or my ego) and my Messiah complex; me trying to prove to myself that I can make something work--all wrong reasons to be in and keep a relationship. I won't say that those were not mistakes because I really wasn't at my brightest and smartest during those times. Those were mistakes but I learned a lot nonetheless. Those were wrong moves which were kinda necessary for me to get to the next stage.

Job no. 3: Junior copywriter for an on-line hotel reservation company
Duration: Seven months and counting

When I was looking for my third job, I thought really hard about what I want. So I searched my way through JobsDB and Jobstreet, keeping in mind that I'm aiming for a predictable job that involved writing, travel or food, which are three things I love. When I saw the opening for my current job, I immediately sent my resume and told the universe I wanted this one. I took the exam and was interviewed by my would be manager. He told me I got it soon enough. I was really happy and excited about it.

When Reden and I started going out, I already knew what I wanted. I wanted to be with a smart gentleman who was great to converse with, made me laugh and was on the same wavelength as I was. Aside from knowing what I wanted, I was ready to meet that guy as well. That guy turned out to be Reden whom I have been friends with for more than two years. I knew at that time that I was in-sync with the universe. I met the one and I married him!

Although I don't see myself making a lifetime commitment to this job, I can say that it is right for me at this time. I'd probably keep it for a few more years, given that the company thinks the same of me, of course. Like a marriage, though, it's not always easy. Sometimes it's challenging to stay put. And you would always want to explore new jobs that will pay more and be more exciting. I haven't seen the job that will trump the present one yet though. Maybe because I haven't given it much thought.

Good thing I don't have to think about the next guy anymore. I have the only one I want committed to me forever and ever!

And I'm committed to him as well. 

15 comments:

Karen Ramos said...

now i know why your blogs are sooooo interesting!

editor/copywriter ka pala... hehehe.... nice one.. keep it coming... i always want to read what you have in mind...

Reden Mateo said...

aw mahal. I'm committed to you as well forever (so mushy lah) ;)

Kat Zuño-Mateo said...

hehe thanks karen!

al coroza said...

i dont like reading blogs but when i started reading this one, i got hooked right away. you're very good writer. :)

Dodi Liongson said...

wow naman haba ng hair ni toy!!

Kat Zuño-Mateo said...

thanks alfie!

chris elemos said...

how sweet naman :) (namulaklak ang paligid ko hahaha )

nell enriquez said...

happy valentines! woohoo!!!

Yen Uera-Tesoro said...

I think my Big Friend is really lucky to have you, Kat!

Danilova 8288 said...

mushy couple. :) hehehehe. love you both!

Kharine Catibog said...

nice comparison...you made out you point well. and really, few people gets lucky with both, either career or marriage. It's nice to know Reden is well loved and so are you.

Kat Zuño-Mateo said...

hehehe. happy valentines din nell!

Kat Zuño-Mateo said...

swerte din ako! =)

Kat Zuño-Mateo said...

thanks kim!

Kat Zuño-Mateo said...

Cyber PDA ito! hahaha.