Thursday, October 16, 2008

Envious of: Tanya

What's enviable: her sense of style. It's so effortless. So chic. And she knows her make up.

How would you describe your personal style?
Schizophrenic. Much as I'd like to have a style signature, I just can't make up my mind.

Who is your fashion icon?
Gaaaahhhd how difficult. Let's go with Kate Moss, Louise Brooks and Katharine Hepburn.

Where do you usually shop for clothes? shoes? bags?
I'm a sucker for fast fashion, so I have a lot of Zara, Topshop and Mango. I find my feminine shoes at Celine, CMG, The Ramp or Charles & Keith, but my favorite collection of oxfords are from the ukay-ukay in Baguio, and one pair of actual men's shoes from Mark's in Cubao X. Most of the bags I use were bought by my Mum and sisters, so I don't actually have a go-to place for bags. I look forward to my Mum's trips to the US, she buys really cheap old-season Nine West bags.

How much time do you spend in putting together a typical workday outfit?
When I want to try something new, I spend about 30 minutes to an hour trying it out at night. Or, I spend 15 minutes at night choosing a fail-safe outfit I've worn before, and make sure all components are available, therefore avoiding delay in the morning.  

What's inside your kikay kit?
I have more products than I actually need, but I keep them there in case I decide to go all out with my makeup. The ones I use daily are tinted moisturizer, powder-foundation, powder blush, a blush brush, lip balm, and one of three lipsticks: (a peachy nude, bright pink or brownish red). For extra-special days (like weddings, and yet I carry them daily), I have a black felt-tip eyeliner, an eyelash curler, mascara, two eye shadow palettes (one in brown/army green tones, the other in gray/plum tones), a rounded eye shadow brush and an angled eyeliner brush. Oh, I also have hairpins in there.

How long does it take for you to apply your workday make up?
About 15 minutes, because I wait for the moisturizer to set in before I continue. I do it in front of my PC and then I get sidetracked by all my e-mails!

Beauty tip:
An actress mentioned this in a magazine interview, and I've subscribed to it since then: Do only the kind of makeup you can apply expertly. That said though, you COULD practice at home when the clock isn't ticking. Another thing I've learned is to buy proper makeup brushes. The free applicators are no good. Technique improves so much with the right tools, and then the options open up.

No comments: