Friday, October 23, 2009

the first ad I wrote

Is in today's newspaper (Straits Times)!

Of course my client* edited it but when we started this, there was totally no direction and I was trying to make sense of all the information they gave me. Seven revisions and one week later, it's finally done! They tweaked it but I'm proud to say I gave birth to what eventually grew to be this ad (which still could've been better, if you ask me).

I took on this freelance project to challenge myself. Can I write an ad that will appear in the paper? Well, I just did! The process was grueling and there were times I wondered why did I ever accept it. But it's done and the ad has been published! This is definitely a milestone for me.

I'm a copywriter for an Internet-based hotel booking company now but I'm not sure if I want to turn it to a career. I am curious about working for the big agencies (Ogilvy, Saatchi etc) but I'm not sure if I can handle the stress and the pressure there. Easy go lucky pa man din ako. And I also realized from my experience at my current job, that I can only write for and about products and services I believe in. I hate writing about crappy hotels because deep in my heart I don't want people to stay in places with tons of negative reviews in TripAdvisor. But I try to sell them because that's my job. I don't like that part of marketing copy writing.

Maybe I'm being idealistic but I want to really follow my heart next time I'm on the lookout for a job. That next time is actually now.

But in the meantime, I'll relish the fact that my first ad is on the paper today. Yey!

---
*Can't say who my client is. Madali lang kasi mag-Google ngayon

3 comments:

Denice C. said...

congrats kat! i envy you! hehehe. like selena, you are not afraid to follow your heart. the life you ought to be living is the one that you are living. keep it up! sana magkalakas loob din ako to do the same in the future. dream ko kasi magsulat ng erotic novels. hahaha. lolz. muah! :)

Kat Zuño-Mateo said...

hahaha! salamat! abangan ko yung erotica mo. hahaha.

Kharine Catibog said...

u must still be in heaven...blow out! u should cut that piece and keep it. Someday it'll add up, pero that first one is the most important. Goodluck on building that portfolio.