Friday, January 20, 2006

high grades, honors, etc.

One of my editors just talked to me about my performance for the second half of 2005. I'm glad to know that my editing score went up by 2.3 points from the first half of last year. He set a pretty high target for me for the first half of 2006. I have to increase my score by at least 3 points. He said he's confident I can reach the target and be among the "top" editors.

Pressure ito! Hehehe.

I really appreciate getting feedback because at least I know where I'm at. Aside from that, I get to learn a lot in terms of grammar and style. I really don't care so much about the scores as much as I do about the quality of my work.

Anyway...

Grades make me feel like I'm back in school.

I was not a grade-conscious student. I never really pushed myself to be part of the honor roll. It sort of just happened. (Yabang!) I studied and did what I could. If my grades were high enough to qualify me as an honor student, good. If not, it wasn't big a deal. I kept that attitude until my final years as a student.

I don't know if I was just lazy or if it wasn't in me to be competitive. Or maybe my priorities lay somewhere else. Socials, perhaps? =)

I never put much emphasis on academic honors because I never believed that it was a measure of a person's success. I always thought a person's relationship with other people and the general quality of his life says more about him than anything. If you managed to get to the top without stepping on other people's toes, then I'll probably like you.

Even if I didn't care, however, I was always happy to be recognized as an outstanding student. It gave me--and my parents--pride. I love making them happy. It's addictive. But that deserves another blog post.

Happy weekend everyone!

2 comments:

nice said...

yey! happy weekend!

Iggy said...

ako nung college sinasabi ko sa sarili ko na wala ako masyado care sa acads basta walang singko at grumadweyt ako on time. Pero nung nalaman kong na-miss ko ang laude na grade by point something lang, umiyak talaga ako! parang, kung di lang ako nagpaeasy-easy sa Street Jazz o ComSci 1 eh nasa akin na yun. Lech!