Monday, July 27, 2009

practicing non-attachment

Today's events reminded me of the importance of detachment.  

Detachment doesn't mean not caring or having walang pakialam. Instead, it's recognizing that whatever we have or are going through at the present moment WILL. PASS. TOO.

Being non-attached to persons, things and situations (whether it's something small like a two and a half year old phone or something important like a one year old job) helps me appreciate what I have  because I know that sooner or later, they'll be gone. And when I'm going through something difficult, knowing that whatever I'm experiencing right now will pass too allows me to keep my perspective and remain focused on what I have to do instead of worrying about things I don't have control over.


I wasn't always like this. There was a time in my life when I wanted to have control over everything. I didn't like being away from my mom and dad because I was scared that something might happen to them while we were apart. Then, when I started having relationships, I began worrying about being cheated on and all those sh*t you see happen in movies. Fortunately, I realized that there are things bigger than me and that there are just some things I can't control (including people), that whatever it was I was concerned about at that time I just have to pray for and lift to God.

It was during high school, I think, that this shift in me happened, but I'm sure it was brought about by this:

The Serenity Prayer
by Reinhold Niebuhr

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

I hope this brings a shift in you, too. Well, if you need it.

3 comments:

Yen Uera-Tesoro said...

I like this prayer, too. I think I got hold of a copy of this some time ago but forgotten about it. Glad that you posted it here, made me think more positive and happy with what I have right now. =)

mayen zuno said...

Yes, the impermanence of all things makes us appreciate life more.

Reden Mateo said...

I will remember to pray this every time I am overwhelmed with all the work =)