Thursday, March 5, 2009

my father turns a year older today

I used to think that my dad was the scary one in the family. I remember him as being really serious and strict when it comes to instilling discipline to me and my sister. Sure I was scared of my mom's kurot, but I was more scared of my dad's tsinelas. Or rolled-up newspaper. Or hands. Whatever his tool for punishment, I would always be grateful it landed on the part that can absorb the shock best--our asses.

He didn't resort to that mode of disciplinary method often. Pag lang talagang masakit na sa ulo ang kakulitan namin. He also wasn't the type to sit down with us afterwards and explain to us why he had to spank us. That was my mom's job. But I guess we got it. We got the message because after a while, Daddy didn't need his props anymore. We reached a point when nakukuha na kami sa tingin. Haha.

Apart from being the disciplinarian, my dad was also the provider. He works really hard for us and does a good job of supporting all our needs. When I reached the age of majority, found my own job and became responsible for providing myself with everything I need, I was still free na makiride sa kanilang groceries. Hehehe. Hanggang ngayon! 

My dad was also the family's protector. I worry when he goes on out-of-town business trips because I'm scared of the bad guys. He was the strongest among us, physically and he's the only one who could punch the hell out of the (imagined) hooligans. Thank God, the bad guys never came.

But if you would classify sloppy ex-boyfriends as bad guys, then they came alright. 

My dad protected me from them too. Not by physically harrassing them, but by showing up for me and being a great example of what a respectable man should be. Thus, my husband of choice.  

It was only when I grew older that I've gotten to really know my daddy. From an image of a strict disciplinarian who provides for our needs and protects us from every bad element imaginable, now I see him for what he is--a good great person. I am truly, wonderfully blessed that I and my siblings could call him our dad. Great catch, mother. Great catch. 

Happy birthday daddy! I love you! Thank you so much for every single thing.

PS
And thanks Lola (and Lolo in heaven) for raising a great man. You've done a spectacular job.