Saturday, September 13, 2008

practicing presence

Since I started reading A New Earth, I've been trying to be more present in my daily life. Today, I decided to be present while taking a shower.

Taking a shower is one of the things I take for granted. I go about it hurriedly in the mornings while thinking of the tasks I have to accomplish or the errands I have to run for the day. I seldom, if at all, appreciate our bathroom, the shower head and its varying flow strengths, the water coming out of it, the scent of my shampoo and bath gel. I hardly pay attention to the drops of water as it falls on the crown of my head and as it trickles down my body. But today I did, and it was the best shower I've had in years!

I then remembered how, as a child, taking a bath was one of the highlights of the day. I was looking forward to shampooing my hair and playing with the froth for a while before rinsing it with water. I was happy to make landi, lingering in the bathroom more than I should. I used to imagine that our big plastic drum was a ceramic tub. I would ask my mom or dad to put me inside of it so I can swim or float at least. I yearned to have a shower head so much that I instead of pouring the water from the tabo on my head, I threw it up in the air and position myself so that I'm directly under the showers.

Now, we do have a shower head but I don't feel as excited about it as I was back then. I guess taking a shower just became one of those things I had to do. I just don't have fun doing it anymore.

But I intend to change that from this day on.

3 comments:

mayen zuno said...

onga, parang nasa spa.

Yen Uera-Tesoro said...

Nice! Hehe. Sometimes I dread taking showers especially during the cold winter mornings. Pero pag andun na, parang ayoko na umalis sa shower. Sarap!

Melissa Christina Santos said...

"But I intend to change that from this day on."

hubby take note. hehehe