Monday, September 1, 2008

an Eraserheads entry

There have been much talk on the Internet before and after the Eraserheads Reunion Concert. Thanks to technology, I don't feel so left out. Last night, B and I caught glimpses of the concert through youtube. Buti na lang may mga nagpost ng videos. Salamat.

It made me sad to hear about what happened to Ely. Kawawa. His mom died two days before the concert and yet he decided to push through. Siguro what happened to him was caused by the combination of sobrang stress plus the thrill of seeing their fans and hearing them sing their songs as if six days and not six years have passed.

I feel sad, too, that I wasn't there to see them perform. They were my favorite band after all. Sila lang talaga yung hinangaan ko. I like Parokya. I like Bamboo. I like Rivermaya. But I love the Eraserheads.

I first fell in love with the band when my friend and now kumare, Cecile, made me listen to Circus. I was 13 that time. I remember not liking it the first time I heard it because I thought it was too noisy, but I gave it another listen, with the cassette cover in hand, and was hooked. Hearing is different from listening talaga. I loved the whole album but my favorites were Sembreak, Alapaap, Wishing Wells, Minsan, Kailan, Butterscotch and Sa Wakas.

I then decided to buy their first album, Ultraelectromagneticpop. Andun yung Ligaya, Pare Ko, Tindahan ni Aling Nena, Maling Akala tsaka Shake your Head. Hinintay ko ang release ng next album.

My mom got a copy of Cutterpillow for me. I remember just having come home from school (exam day ata yun kasi maaga ako nakauwi) when mommy told me she bought a copy of Cutterpillow already. Pumasok agad ako sa kwarto, sinaksak ang casette at nakinig with the lyrics in hand. If I remember correctly, Superproxy and track 1. Again, I loved the album.

May lumabas din silang magazine after, yung Pillbox. Siempre bumili din ako. Di ko lang sure kung nasundan pa yung isang issue na yun.

After that, Fruitcake, their Christmas album, came out. I liked it but the music sounded different from the previous albums. Lightyears and Christmas Party were my favorites.

Mas naging evident ang evolution ng music ng Eraserheads sa mga sumunod na album. Ang last album na binili ko was Sticker Happy, which was released after the Bananatype EP. Siguro nagbago na din ang type kong music kaya di ko na naappreciate yung Aloha Milkyway, Natin '99 at Carbon Stereoxide.

Bukod sa pagbili ng album, iniintay ko din ang pagbisita ng Eraserheads sa San Pablo dati. Dalawang beses sila nagpunta sa San Pablo at dalawang beses din ako nanood. Siempre, chaperone ko si mommy. Hehehe. Type din niya ang music ng E-heads eh.

Nung nag-Diliman na ako, super excited ako kasi alma mater yun ng E-heads. Hehehe. Sa welcome concert for freshmen nung 1998, alala ko tumugtog sila. Ang saya!

Lumipas ang mga taon at nabalitaan ko na lang na nagdisband na ang grupo. Na-sad ako pero I also felt it was time. Siguro masyado nang iba-iba ang pananaw nila tsaka atake sa musika. Lahat talaga natatapos din. Dats life.

Pero thankful pa din ako kasi nagkaron ng banda na gaya nila. They provided the soundtrack to my teenage years. May kanta sa bawat episode and for that, they'll always be a part of me. Naks!

I lab the Eraserheads!

6 comments:

Melissa Christina Santos said...

"My mom got a copy of Cutterpillow for me. I remember just having come home from school (exam day ata yun kasi maaga ako nakauwi) when mommy told me she bought a copy of Cutterpillow already."

-Ibang level talaga si Mrs. Zuno!

mayen zuno said...

haha...mahilig din lang talaga sa most types of music.
sayang nga, late ko na nalaman yung concert, tapos parang di naman excited sina miko manood, plus mahal ang ticket, hehe, kaya di ko na kinulit. tapos nalaman ko na cut-short ang concert because of ely. di bale next time nalang.

gladys pinky said...

Ei andun ako with Lucille, Abi, Ronald - journ represent! :D Ang saya! Kahit na-cut short, solb na ako! Sana may part 2!

Kat Zuño-Mateo said...

kita ko nga pics niyo gladys. kaingget! hehehe.

Marge T said...

Kat, ikaw ba kasama ko o si Jeus sa FOPC concert?=) naalala ko din yan last week, hahaha

Kat Zuño-Mateo said...

I think housemates ko kasama ko nun kasi naglakad kami to KNL pabalik. Hehehe. Pero alam ko nga andun din kayo.