Monday, February 20, 2012

going with the flow

So I went back to the dentist last Saturday. He removed the stitches ever so gently that I felt no pain or discomfort at all. He said one of the wounds is recovering slowly so he put on some nasty tasting medication on it. I asked him whether my tongue will feel normal again. He said maybe in two to three weeks.

I really wasn't expecting any better answer than that. I've already scoured Google for articles about "tongue numb after wisdom tooth extraction." Yes, that's the exact string I used. I've read stuff so I'm preparing myself for the worst, which is to live with only 30 percent of my tongue able to taste and feel.

I already came to terms with my tongue constantly having that pins and needles feeling. I don't have much to complain about. Although I felt kinda sad thinking about all the delicious foods I won't be tasting the same way again, it's not like I've lost my leg or sight or hand or hearing. Losing one of those would be life-changing.

---

My son. Oh my son is waking up way early again. Like 4:30am early. It's easier to accept when it's like the first time in a long time or maybe even the second time. But three days straight? That wake-up time is too painful.

I actually come to around 5 and at that time he's already babbling and shouting and playing and banging on his crib. I ignore him, hoping he'd go back to sleep but he doesn't. He cries around 5:15-ish. That's his threshold. By then he'd be ready to be picked up.

Ziv slept beautifully while his grandparents were here. They were amazed by this baby's ability to sleep from 6:30pm to 6:30am, with only one waking for a feed. Even I was amazed by it. I should've known it was a phase. Now we're back to one night waking plus early waking. 

I'm currently reading this book called The Wonder Weeks. It proposes that there are specific weeks in a baby's first year of life when he's extra fussy and when all the difficult baby things you thought you got over with comes back. These weeks, according to the book, precede huge leaps and major changes in the baby's mental development.

Ziv is currently 49 turning 50 weeks old. But he was born three weeks shy of a completely full term baby so mentally, he might be 46 weeks old. Guess what? The book says week 46 is a wonder week! So maybe that explains why his sleep schedule is off kilter again. Aside from that, his appetite is quite weak. He couldn't finish a 5-ounce bottle when just last week, he downed them with vigor.

Are you familiar with Pokemon? Ze hubby and I always say when Ziv's behavior changes that he's about to evolve, like a Pokemon. See, when a Pokemon evolves, they become stronger and gain more moves. If Ziv were a Pokemon, maybe he's about to add walking to his moves. Or maybe he's cutting teeth. (He has five teeth now, by the way!)

A few months back this would've stressed me out but I've since learned to relinquish control. When it comes to raising a baby, you just have to go with the flow and let things be.

No comments: