Friday, February 3, 2012

the catch up post, part 2

January is over and I have yet to wrap up my catch up posts! Seriously, someone stop the clock!

December 27
We made our way back to San Pablo City. Ziv threw up the morning of our departure from Calapan but I thought it was just one of those episodes. I didn't worry about it and pushed through with our travel plans. Ziv did well during the trip back. He didn't throw up while we were at the fast craft.
 
Daddy picked us up at the Batangas Pier. We had lunch at the Tree House Restaurant before making our way to San Pablo City. When we were almost home, Ziv threw up again. That's when I started to be concerned, but not so much to stop us from going to the mall. Ziv threw up again before going to bed that night.

December 28
Ziv playing with Lolo and his gift; with the Martinez family
Tita Thet and family came by to see us. It was just a quick visit though because we had to travel to Sta. Rosa to meet up with Ninang George, and later, Dada's friends. Ziv threw up that morning but he wasn't showing signs of illness, plus he was able to keep down some breast milk, so we decided to push through with our plans.
With Ninang George and Dada's friends
When we got to Nuvali at Sta. Rosa, we met with Ninang George first. We had lunch at Conti's. Before our food came though, Ziv had a major, major blowout. The poop was loose and he got it all over his butt, lower back and thighs. Poor thing. Ze hubby and I were overwhelmed and got in a frenzy while changing Ziv I didn't notice I got some poop on my dress! Anyway, we got it done eventually. I had to wash the changing mat and all of Ziv's clothing. We didn't lose our appetites though and ate our lunch with gusto.

After that, we said goodbye to Ninang George then went to Italianni's to have lunch part 2/meryenda with ze hubby's friends. While there, I fed Ziv a jar of Gerber then 150ml of breast milk. I was relieved when he didn't throw up. From Italianni's, we walked to Serenitiea for more chika. 

We were able to go home that evening without any puking episodes so I thought maybe now that he pooped, the worst is over. But when it was time for bed, Ziv threw up again.
December 29
I can't remember if we were able to sleep the previous night but when Ziv woke up in the morning, he was weak and cranky. He wasn't able to keep anything down that I started using a huge bath towel as a bib while he was feeding. I decided to take him to the pediatrician later that morning.

We went to Dra. Oro, who was my and my siblings' pediatrician. When she saw Ziv she said to just take him to the hospital and have him hooked up to an IV as he was already dehydrated. 

We went home to pack some things then went to the San Pablo Medical Center ER. The attendant was able to check Ziv but Daddy and ze hubby found out that there were no private rooms available. If we wanted to have Ziv confined, we'd have to stay in a ward. I balked at the idea so I we checked out the Community Hospital. Same thing, no private rooms available. We moved on to the Doctors' Hospital. Same story, but they said we can get wait listed then just transfer to a private room in the afternoon. I almost signed up but when I checked the ward, I changed my mind. I told them we'd just go home and call later to see if we can get a private room.

On our way home, we stopped by the Community Hospital ER again. Fortunately, someone checked out early and a room was available! We were relieved! But when the doctor checked Ziv, he said we can just monitor him at home and instead of hooking him up to an IV, we can just give him Pedialyte. He also prescribed medicine for diarrhea and fever, just in case Ziv gets them and an anti-bacterial. So before heading back, we stopped by the pharmacy and got all those.

Ziv was super tired so I put him to bed when we got home. The doctor advised to limit his milk and food intake and just give him Pedialyte. I did exactly that. However, when Ziv woke up, he was starved. I gave him a few ounces of milk but it wasn't enough. He complained! I gave him Pedialyte instead. So glad there's a fruit flavored version of this. He gulped it like there was no tomorrow!

We didn't have much rest that evening as Ziv kept waking up out of hunger. But good thing though, he wasn't throwing up anymore! Yey!

The following morning, Ziv woke up hungry, but in a better condition than the previous day. After 24 hours of zero vomiting, I felt it was safe to feed him milk again. I didn't give him a full feeding though just to be safe, but that evening, he was taking and keeping his normal milk feeds in. I was so happy Ziv was okay again!

December 30. Ziv was making faces again!
This episode scared me! It was the first time Ziv got sick and it had to happen in the Philippines! I wasn't worried about the competence of the doctors but the sight of the facilities made me uneasy. They were old and seemed outdated. And the ward? My goodness. I don't know about the other hospitals  but the four-bedder at Doctors' Hospital was cramped. Baka lalo pang magkasakit ang anak ko dun! I'm really thankful Ziv was able to recover without need for hospitalization. It would've been so stressful.

December 31
We had New Year's Eve dinner at my Tita Gina's home but we had to leave early because Ziv was already super sleepy. I also snoozed for a bit and woke up in time for the fireworks. 

January 1
Heard mass with Daddy, visited mommy then had lunch at home.

Just happy to be with my family.

No comments: