Tuesday, August 16, 2011

baby gear I can't stay sane without

Reden and I live on our own here in Singapore and we’re raising Ziv without help. During weekdays, it’s just me at home and I must admit, sometimes I wish there were someone to take care of Ziv while I pee or take a bath or eat. If we were in the Philippines, I can just hand Ziv over to one of my siblings or my Dad while I do my business, but this is our reality.

In order to survive the daily baby caring grind, we (mainly I) have to rely on certain baby gear. When you don't have enough hands, you compensate with inanimate substitute caregivers. Here are our daily helpers at home:

Bumbo Baby Seat - Ziv can hold his head up but still can't sit unassisted so the Bumbo seat is perfect for him! We love this because it allows Ziv to sit with us at the dining table so Reden and I can eat together. When I need to do some chores at the kitchen or use the toilet, the Bumbo lets me keep Ziv close by.
Fisher Price Baby Papasan - This is a hand-me-down from my aunt and it was very useful before I sleep-trained Ziv. During that time, he wouldn't nap anywhere but his Papasan. This infant seat vibrates and plays lullabies.
Mamalove Swing - Like the Papasan, we used this for naps back when Ziv resisted the crib. This one has a remote control and plays lullabies too! Now, we use this for soothing him before baths or before naps.
 
Other baby gear we love are the Evenflo Snugli Comfort Vent Carrier, the Babysafe Sling and the Combi Urban Walker. We mainly use these when we go out, but sometimes they get handy at home too.

When Ziv was smaller, I used the sling but now that he's grown, we use the Snugli more often. I love it because it allows my hands to be free and is perfect when I can't lug the stroller around. I've taken Ziv to the library and the supermarket while he was in it and he loves it because he gets a totally new point of view. He's also happier when he's Snugli-d because he's close to mom (or dad!). 

We take the stroller for long walks around the block or for malling. At home, it has saved me many a nap time. A few weeks back, motion was the only thing that can make Ziv nap so when I got tired from rocking him and walking around the house, I just put him in his stroller and almost instantly he'll doze off. 

Aside from these gear, another thing that has helped me keep my sanity is the Baby ESP Android app. It helps me keep track of Ziv's feedings, pee and poop, sleep and wake times and my pumping sessions. I can also log play times, bath times, spit ups as well as Ziv's height and weight. This app is heaven-sent to OC, sleep-deprived, confused moms like me! 

When you're a first-time parent, it’s tempting to get all the gear designed and marketed to make parenting easier. However, we can't do that because these items do not come cheap and in our case, there isn’t enough space in our two-bedroom flat.

Hmmm, but then again, maybe we can make room for this highchair or this jogging stroller.

;)
 

No comments: