Monday, August 22, 2011

have baby, will travel: follow up

We’re here in the Philippines!  Our flight went well. We arrived in one, er, two pieces. Wishing it could’ve been smoother might be asking too much for a 5-month old infant. I’m just thankful that neither of us was scarred for life by the experience.
Me and Ziv during those few minutes he was willing to sit still
The day began early for us. Mine started at 2:30AM. I pumped and did some last-minute packing. Ziv woke up at 3:30. I thought he wanted to eat but turned out he didn’t. Maybe he sensed my energy and felt something was going on. I woke Reden up at 3:40 and we were off by 4AM.

Check-in was smooth. Our baggage was overweight by 1.3 kilos but they didn’t charge us for it. We managed to have breakfast with Dada before heading to immigration. Ziv was in a good mood.

Until we got to our gate.

It was almost 6AM at that point and Ziv still hasn’t taken his milk. I was relieved because I was sure he would accept his bottle during takeoff.  However, soon after we got to the gate, he began fussing. I knew then he was sleepy and hungry and I needed to feed him. I stalled until we boarded the plane and got to our seat and once we did, he began to cry! I gave in and just prayed he’ll fall asleep so he won’t be bothered by pressure in his ear. He finished the bottle and then fell asleep before we took off.  Luckily, he stayed asleep even while the plane was ascending. There was no ear pain, thank God.

After half an hour, Ziv woke up and the fussing began again. I knew it was because he didn’t get quality sleep and the only way to cope with it was to entertain him. I pulled out his toys, one after the other, but he got bored of them quickly. For a short while he was distracted by the stewardesses and their cart but after they passed our row, the fussiness resumed. I knew I needed to walk or stand up and rock him. I decided to walk towards the front row because there was a lot of space there and then swayed and rocked him.

Ziv got distracted by everything he saw from there. He was bright-eyed while looking at the nifty control panel, and smiled at passengers going to the toilet. One of them scared him though and he cried for a while. One of the stewardesses took him from me for a while and played with him too.We also walked towards the other end of the aisle para maiba naman.

At one point he fell asleep again. I took that opportunity to eat my peanut butter and mango jelly sandwich and drink some water. He was still asleep after I finished so I thought I’d nap too. He woke up a few minutes after I closed my eyes though so no nap for me. We then repeated what we did: walked to the front row, walked up and down the aisle, swayed and rocked. He was really fussy and refused to sit still throughout the flight.

Fortunately, he got hungry when the plane started its descent. I fed him and we escaped major ear pain and headache again! Thank God!

We landed and I Snguli-d him, walked through immigration without any irritating questioning and got our checked in luggage and stroller. Buti na lang, an airport employee helped us take our luggage off the belt. An over eager porter also helped us bring all our stuff to the parking lot, where Daddy and Paolo were already waiting. Once we got everything loaded in the pick-up, we made our way to San Pablo.

We stopped for lunch at Yellow Cab and had pizza and pasta for lunch. The three boys started bonding immediately.
Left: With Lolo and Tito Paolo; Right: Ziv getting to know Tito Paolo again :)
I think Ziv has already adjusted to his temporary home. He’s sleeping well in his crib and yes, on his own. We’re doing our routine so I think that helped. I’ve also adjusted. Already brought everything we need during our stay. We’re looking forward to spending time with family and friends here. We miss Dada though. Can’t wait to see and be with him again!

BTW, remember the diaper bag I obsessively filled with things we might need? Only used the toys and the milk bottles. Nothing else.

1 comment:

Melissa Santos said...

icko was around 3 years old when he experienced flying. manila-davao-manila. sa davao-manila, he suddenly cried (WAILED!) non-stop during the middle of the flight. Pinagtitinginan na kami ng ibang passengers. He would not tell why he was crying. Nung mahimasmasan, sinabi niya na he though the plane was gonna crash BECAUSE I PUSHED ONE OF THE BUTTONS ON THE ARM OF HIS SEAT. Haha. Lokong bata.

To fight ear pain, i made him munch on some skyflakes during the trip. Effective naman. Curiously, he dozes off whenever we land.

Lastly, kailangan talaga niya subukan ang cr ng domestic airport. marking his territory. haha.

Enjoy your stay here!