Thursday, January 7, 2010

flashback, part II

Mom passed away exactly two months ago.

*****

When Mommy was discharged the following Monday, she still hadn’t made up her mind whether to undergo chemo or not. We took her home and since Daddy needed to attend a very important meeting in Ortigas, I, together with Miko and Paolo, were tasked to take care of her. (Lia was working.)

Mom stayed in my (and Lia’s) room since the cable TV was there. She needed something to keep her busy when she’s awake and when she wakes up in the odd hours of the night. We made sure to follow the prescribed times that she needs to take Oxycontin. The doctor also gave her Oxynorm for breakthrough pain. I gave her sponge baths, changed her clothes, and cooked and fed her healthy food. She was fairly comfortable.

On Tuesday morning, while she was eating breakfast, I told her I would be getting a second opinion from a doctor in Manila. B and Ate Laddie helped me get in touch with Ate Day, Ate’s friend, whose mom underwent chemotherapy for her breast cancer at the PGH. Ate Day’s cousin, a doctor who just underwent training at the PGH, recommended I talk to Dr. Ricky Luna, an OB-Onco. Mom agreed. Dad too. Ate Day set an appointment with the doctor on my behalf.

Mommy then told me what she went through from February, when she was diagnosed, to May, when she had a complete hysterectomy. It was easy to find her records because dad did a fantastic job in filing them neatly. I saw everything there – the medical reports, the films, the receipts, the hospital bills, the insurance claim forms, all from February to May. I felt a bit guilty for not being there with her during those months, but I decided to just focus on the present. I’m not going to let her give up without a fight.

I was about to feed mom her dinner when she complained of extreme stomach pain. I knew it was serious because she couldn’t lie still and was crying. I asked her if she wanted to go to the hospital and she said yes.

I called the San Pablo City Medical Center to request for an ambulance but the girl on the end of the line said there wasn’t any driver available. I decided to call my mom’s sister, Tita Gina, and ask for help. They immediately when to our house and helped us get in touch with the city hall’s ambulance, which fortunately was available that evening. After a few minutes we were at the ER. Lia was with us and the boys were left at home, on standby in case I’d need someone to pick me up.

To help ease mom’s pain, the doctor ordered the nurse to push medication through her IV. The first drug didn’t agree with mom. She said she felt hot outside but cold inside. The stomach pain didn’t go away too. She felt very uneasy and was unable to calm down. After a few hours, the doctor decided to push another medication through her IV. It worked somehow because she was finally able to sleep. It was past midnight. Tita Gina stayed with us through the night. She watched over mom and let me sleep because I had to go to Manila the following day.

Mom felt better when we woke up Wednesday morning. I went back home to have breakfast and get ready so I can be on my way. I prepared her records, stopped by the hospital and hopped on a bus to Manila. Lia went on leave watched over mom with the boys while I was gone. Tita Gina needed to go to work.

Marge met me for lunch and accompanied me to Dr. Ricky Luna’s clinic at Padre Faura. I needed her to navigate and to be my friend. I needed all the positive energy I can get. 

No comments: