Wednesday, December 29, 2010

the best of 2010: picking up running



I must say that one of the best things Reden and I did for ourselves this year was to get serious about running. We picked up the sport in line with our goal to get fit but I was surprised when I ended up liking it and wanting to do it regularly. 


I personally find it relaxing and meditative and each time I finish a kilometre or two, I feel empowered; I feel I can do anything. Running and pushing my mental and physical limits also became like a prayer to me. I did it to give thanks to the God who created me and put me on this Earth.


Reden and I signed up for several races in 2010. Last April, we ran the Dow Live Earth Run for Water 6 kilometre event together, then on May, Reden ran his first 10K event at the PAssion Run. In July, I was supposed to join the 5K Shape Run but I was already pregnant, but Reden got to run 7.5K in the Race Against Cancer, raising S$225 for the Singapore Cancer Society.


Last September, Reden joined the 10K men's open at the SAFRA Singapore Bay Run and Army Half Marathon, and in October 10, at the Mizuno Wave Run. To culminate a year of running, Reden ran 10K at the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon, which I also signed up for before I knew I had this little one inside me. I was supposed to run my first 10K at this race!


I'm still quite surprised at myself for saying this, but I miss running! I'm looking forward to running again and I just know it will help me get back in shape after I've delivered our baby. Gotta start looking for jogger strollers soon!


--
Scrapbook page credits: Circles background paper from Moody Blues kit by Shabby Princess, sunshine paper (used in title) by Liv Esteban at Jessica Sprague.com.

No comments: