Wednesday, December 22, 2010

the best of 2010: losing weight

This is the first of The Best of 2010 series, which will cover the highlights of my 2010.


One of the goals I set for myself at the start of 2010 was to lose weight. We really wanted to start a family and one of the doctors I saw told me maybe it would help if I lose the excess kilos. She referred me to a dietitian and that's when I decided to get serious about getting fit.

In 2009, I hit my heaviest at 75 kilos or 165 pounds. I had a body mass index of 30.2, which classified me as obese. The first time I talked to my dietitian, she gave me a meal plan where I only needed to consume 1,500 kcal a day. Aside from that, she told me I have to exercise every day for at least 30 minutes.

I started my fitness regimen in January, right after the holidays. I became mindful of my meal portions and made sure to eat lots of whole grains, fruits, vegetables and healthy protein. I needed to watch my intake of hawker fare because most of them were too oily. We switched to plain brewed coffee instead of instant three-in-ones and started using Splenda instead of regular sugar.

I also began walking 30 minutes every other day. At first they were just slow walks but when I felt I already could, I started brisk walking and increased the duration. By March, I felt I was strong enough to start running. I began inserting 10-minute slow runs in between brisk walks, and the next thing I knew, I could run for 20 minutes straight. I also bought a Polar FT4 so I'll know if I'm working hard enough. 

By July, I already lost 10 kilos or 22 pounds. My clothes fit better and I felt healthier and more energetic. I would have been on my way to reaching my goal weight of 55 kilos by the end of the year but God had other plans.

I think this is the first time when I actually stuck to a diet and fitness regimen. I guess I really needed the help and guidance I got from my dietitian. It also helped that Reden went on the journey with me, eating what I ate and exercising too.

Achieving a weight loss of 10 kilos made me realize that I can do anything I put my heart and mind into. I just had to be willing and determined to put in the work necessary so I can reach my goals. Now I am confident that when it's time to do this all over again, I can and will succeed.

---
Scrapbook page credits: Striped paper, stapled tabs and alpha from Two Soon kit by Shabby Princess
Photo credits: Fruit salad by nkzs, veggies by bigevil600, running track by dlritter and bread are all from stock.xchng.


No comments: