Thursday, July 14, 2011

living with baby

I've always been neat and organized. Everything in our home has its own place. The straw broom, vacuum cleaner and mop are close friends, while Pledge, Mr. Muscle, Ajax and Cif are among my allies. I love to keep spaces spick and span.

Enter Ziv Nathaniel.

Since he arrived, keeping the household in order has taken a back seat. Attending to Ziv's needs comes first now so I've since lowered my standards when it comes to housekeeping. It's okay if the dishes don't get washed immediately. They can wait until Ziv's asleep. I don't have to sweep or vacuum the floor everyday. I can do it on the weekend.

I remember my mother telling me way back, it's okay if the house is messy as long as the babies are safe and happy. "Babies" then referred to my younger brothers, who are now both grown men. I do what I'm told so I let Ziv's stuff take over our living space.

Here is the living room:

As you can see, it's filled with Ziv's stuff: the Jumperoo, the swing, the Boppy, the stroller, the activity gym, and his clothes in the blue basket, waiting to be folded. And that blanket on the foreground, we lay that down on the carpet for tummy time and some freestyle exercise.

Other baby stuff are scattered all over the flat:



There's Ziv's bathtime essentials on top of the oven, his infant seat beside the computer table, the bottle warmer and milk storage bottles beside the microwave, brushes for bottle cleaning on the kitchen sink and his bottles and formula milk on the dining table. 

And since we're living in a three room flat, he co-sleeps with us in our bedroom. His chest of drawers is also in there so I had to sacrifice closet space and just share with Reden. This set up is fine for now that I'm staying at home, but if I rejoin the workforce, I'd need space for my clothes too!


I would normally get stressed when my space is cluttered like this but I've learned to let it go. Taking care of Ziv is my number 1 priority right now. Better a messy house than a fussy kid!

1 comment:

Katrina said...

wow Kat! so cute stuff ni Ziv! hahaha ako din biggest regret ko since coming back to work is not being able to clean my house every day. But yes, better a messy house than a fussy kid. - Iggy