Monday, May 21, 2007

ultraelectromammogram

Just got back from KK Women's & Children's Hospital.

No, am not pregnant. I just had my boobies checked. Hehe.

Although my appointment with the breast surgeon was still at 12:05 noon, I was already at the KK Breast Centre at 11:30am. I took the free shuttle from Bugis MRT. Maganda ang hospital. Parang Medical City diyan sa Pinas. Pero mas malaki.

When it was finally my turn to see the breast surgeon, she asked me routine questions, such as family history of cancer, if I had kids etc. I realized my aunt (my dad's ate), will always be a part of my medical history. She had breast cancer and then later died of leukemia. The doctors said, however, that this is a weak cancer history. One of my doctors back home told me that it is more likely for someone to get cancer if they have a relative from their mother's side who had it or died from it.

She asked me what I saw her for and I told her I just want to have my boobs checked. I told her I had a lumpectomy last year and that the lump found was benign. She then asked me to take off my top and bra and to lie on the examination bed so she can do a breast exam and a preliminary ultrasound. She told me I look fine, that young women like me usually have lumpy breasts, and that there's nothing to worry about. She told me, however, to get a more detailed ultrasound done just to be sure.

Whew. Salamat naman at ok ako.

I waited for an hour for my turn at the sonographer. Luckily, Pinay ang sonographer so madali kausap. She checked my right breast then left then right again. I found this weird and naisip ko kagad that there must be something wrong. Tama nga ako kasi tinawag niya ang doctor for a consult. The cute doctor (babae ito) then explained that I have to have a mammogram done. She told me something I prayed I wouldn't hear today: I had a calcification on my right breast--again!

I waited almost 45 minutes para sa mammogram session. Nung turn ko na, natuwa ako kasi Pinay ulit ang nandun. Grabe ang mammography, masakit! Tolerable naman pero napa-aray talaga ako. Imaginin niyo na lang na yung boobs niyo inipit ng sobrang bigat na bagay. Ganon. Pirat kung pirat. Apat na beses kinunan ng image ang boobs ko. Tigdalawang angles per boob.

After 30 minutes, sinabihan ako ng cute doctor na pwede na akong umuwi. Wag daw ako magworry at bumalik na lang daw ako next Monday para sa appointment ko with my breast surgeon. All in all, ang ginastos ko ay S$226.90.

Hay. Ano ba naman ito. Puro gastos na lang idinulot ko sa asawa ko.

Tulungan niyo akong magdasal, kung kaninoman kayo nagdadasal, na sana ay hindi harmful ang calcification na nakita sa right breast ko, at sana ay hindi ko kailangan magundergo ng operation. Hindi ko alam kung maaafford namin ni Reden yun ngayon. Kakaumpisa lang niya sa new work niya at ako naman ay dakilang bum.

Hanggang sa Lunes.

1 comment:

johanna said...

will pray for u kat.