Wednesday, April 25, 2012

do what you love



After sister left, I was scheduled for two job interviews. Ironic, right? Haha. Good thing ze hubby could work from home so we didn't have to worry about childcare.

One interview I had was with a big media company here. I already took a qualifying exam a few weeks ago and was already scheduled for an interview. A few days before the appointment, HR called me and told me the post is closed and has been offered to someone already. I was disappointed but I let it go. A couple of days later, HR called again, told me there was a "problem" and they wanted to invite me for an interview again. I accepted the invitation and prepared.

Fast forward to the interview proper, I was surprised that the editors seemed to have no idea about my qualifications. They were taking glances at my CV on the spot and then went on to tell me I seemed too junior for the role. Said they were looking for someone with more experience. 

I answered their questions to the best of my ability, even selling my skills to them but it seemed they made up their mind about me. I tried to be polite and mask my dismay but I was thinking what a waste of precious time and resources it was!!! So rude! They're a big and important company here but they should probably take a look at their hiring process. Hiring managers should review CVs first before they call candidates in for an exam or interview.

One good thing that came out of the experience? I realized I don't want to work for them. Maybe it was God's way of leading me to the right path. It could be His way of saying, this isn't for you sweetie.

*****

This job hunt has once again made me think real hard about what kind of job I want. If it would be based solely on my skills, then I'd still probably be in an editorial function. But the right job isn't just about what fits ones skills. If it were, then the search wouldn't be half as hard as it is.

The right job, for me, should sit well in my heart, not just my brain. It should be aligned to my values. It should be meaningful to me and something that I'm truly interested in. I want my job to not just be a means to an end but an end in itself. I want to wake up each morning (or at least most mornings) excited about the work day ahead.

That's the reason I haven't undertaken a resume blitz. I choose the positions I apply to because I want to find a job that would make spending time away from my son and leaving him in someone else's care worthwhile.

Is that too much to ask for?

No comments: