Monday, July 6, 2009

something bigger than myself

I had a dream last night. In my dream, I was a new hire on President Obama's staff and he asked me to create a presentation on this guy who he was about to have a meeting with. Mr. President told me he needed it early morning the next day and even if it was a rush job, I felt okay because (and I remember myself saying this in my dream) "it's a job bigger than myself." I was serving the world's most powerful man after all.

Mrs. O also tasked me to wake her up at 10AM the following day because she had a wedding to attend. It was her sister's and it was going to be held at the White House.

The next day, while I was doing research and President Obama was having a meeting with his team early in the morning, a commotion suddenly erupted in the household. Turned out, the bride-to-be burned her dress and half of her body because something exploded in the bathroom! Haha. Everything became blurry to me after that and next thing I knew, it was time to wake up.

Funny dream. I wonder what it means. Naghalo na yata ang napanood ko sa Nat Geo, yung Inside Guantanamo at ang excitement ko sa pagpunta namin sa States.

Sa Inside, one of the lady soldiers who was assigned to be a guard said na kaya daw siya sumali sa USAF was because it was a job bigger than herself. Sadly, it hasn't felt that way since she joined the armed forces.

*****

Sa subject ng TV shows, sa episode ni Oprah about young mogul millionaires, sabi ni Tony Hsieh, isang batang millionaire at CEO ng Zappos.com at that time, "Follow your passion and the money will follow." After that episode I was thinking of what my passion was and how can I get paid doing it.

Ang sabi ni Tony, your passion is the one thing you'd be willing to do for 10 years whether you earn a single dime for it or not. Don't get into something for the money daw because if you do that, you'll end up making the wrong decisions.

It's important for me to find my passion because I feel that when we're doing what we love and love what we do, that's when we are one with God. I am yearning to feel that - to be one with God, to feel like I'm doing what I was created to do.

I think I know what it is. I just don't know how to make it happen.

Yet.

5 comments:

Karen Ramos said...

aha! so states pala! hahaha.... goodluck sa travel planning...

about your passion... whatever it is, if you put your mind to it, you can do it!

i hope to do the same thing. Thinking about it is easy, i guess it's the execution of the plan that makes things complicated (for me ha)...

Dodi Liongson said...

so does this mean i have to become a football player and comic book penciller na? nyahaha!

Kat Zuño-Mateo said...

i know, it's much more complicated than just following your heart. :)

Katrina Atienza said...

wow kat! ganda naman ng insight mo. share ko lang din, something recently posted by a friend from her favorite book (Man's Search for Meaning, Viktor Frankl):

"Don't aim at success--the more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side-effect of one's personal dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself. Happiness must happen, and the same holds for success: you have to let it happen by not caring about it."

Grabe...napapaisip tuloy ako ngayon.

Kat Zuño-Mateo said...

thanks Iggy! i love that quote. hanapin ko nga sa library ang book na yan. :-)